Job Description: Coordinator of Youth Discipleship (Part-time)
Reports to: Lead Pastor, Webster Hills United Methodist Church (WHUMC)
The Coordinator of Youth Ministries works in the area of faith formation and Christian education for students 6th grade through high school and their families at Webster Hills United Methodist Church. In addition this person will coordinate with the Coordinator of Children’s Ministries to create new and compelling ministries for students in fourth and fifth grades. Strong emphasis is placed on empowering and equipping leaders to ensure WHUMC builds a ministry reaching the specific needs of today’s children, youth and families. The focus of our youth discipleship ministry is on helping students develop a sustainable faith in Jesus Christ that they will continue to develop throughout life’s journey.
Primary responsibility is to provide leadership for a student discipleship ministry that lives out its mission and vision and is mindful of developing a sustainable structure that is not dependent on any single person or personality. Secondary responsibility involves recruiting, equipping, and training leaders to ensure WHUMC builds a sustainable ministry that focuses on the growing discipleship of the entire community.
- Work with the Lead Pastor and other staff to develop an education and formation plan that develops a student’s faith in a strategic way.
- Educate the community on the purpose and function of Christian education for students in the journey of discipleship.
- Equip parents to provide a foundation of faith at home.
- Promote dialogue with parents and consult with the Lead Pastor and other staff to help meet the whole family’s spiritual needs.
- Vet all curriculum and coordinate ordering and training of educators on the new curriculum.
- Recruit, develop and train Christian educators for all Sunday morning-based age groups.
- Consult with staff regarding religious education opportunities (e.g., Methodism 101, Discover Webster Hills, Youth or Adult Confirmation, Baptism Inquiry Groups, etc.).
- Offer leadership and vision for special Christian Education events throughout the year (e.g., Vacation Bible School, Confirmation).
- Provide vision and support to Lead Pastor and launch team for a new worship service.
- Provide consistent and continuing training and assessment support for current and continuing Christian educators in the community.
- Develop strategies for outreach to families in the Webster Groves-Glendale neighborhood.
- Coordinate and lead the [7th and 8th grade] Confirmation Program.
- Recruit and train Confirmation Mentors.
- Keep accurate records of the discipleship ministry.
Other tasks not specifically listed may be required to successfully run the ministry. By nature, Christian education requires creativity, flexibility, a diverse skill set, delegation to others, and cooperation with the at-large body of Christ. There is a high degree of social interaction required.
Candidate must possess knowledge of and commitment to student ministry, relevant experience, theology/Christian ministry degree recommended but not required, understanding and articulation of Methodist/Wesleyan experience, evidence of previous creative, visionary leadership and a love of learning is an absolute must. Pay commensurate with experience; EOE.
Hours and Expectations
15 hours per week with presence required on Sundays (4 Sundays off per year).
Participation in weekly ministry meetings and weekly meetings with the Lead Pastor.
Safe Sanctuaries certified and training (extensive background check required).
Commitment to WHUMC’s vision. All WHUMC staff are expected to be committed to growth in their own personal discipleship.
Flexibility and the ability to develop and change as our church grows.
Participate in all church special events.
This position is subject to a six-month and 12-month evaluation and assessment regarding qualifications, readiness and enthusiasm for the position.
See the Personnel Policy for an explanation of the evaluation process and procedures.
For information or to apply for this position email a cover letter along with a resume and salary expectations to: email@example.com.